If you’ve been reading this blog for a while, you’ll know that I turned thirty earlier this year. I wasn’t too worried about it at the time, but in the months since I’ve noticed some odd things happening that definitely weren’t part of twenties-life. I think *whisper it* I might be starting to get a bit old.
In an attempt to reassure myself that I’m not the only one (that means you have to leave lots of comments agreeing with me, please) I thought I’d compile a list. So here it is. 20 signs that you’re getting old.
1. You get excited when you receive a dispatch email from Amazon, saying that your plastic storage boxes are on their way.
2. You buy three pairs of Birkenstocks in different colours, just in case they stop producing that style.
3. You poke your head into a bar, but decide not to bother because the music’s too loud and there’s nowhere to sit.
4. You quietly tut to yourself when the kids at the back of the bus are being a bit loud and sweary.
5. 10.30pm counts as a late night. 11pm is something you’ll regret for days.
6. You keep last year’s Christmas cards to turn into next year’s gift tags. And when November rolls around you can actually remember which drawer they’re in.
7. You buy multipacks of sun cream, tissues and wet wipes, and pop them into Ziploc bags so you can keep a set in every handbag.
8. You use the verb ‘pop’.
9. You take biscuits when you visit friends.
10. You seriously consider buying a hot pink cord to hang your sunglasses around your neck.
11. You hope that Santa brings you slippers and a new bathrobe. Or maybe a steam mop.
12. You get grumpy when people just send a text message instead of a handwritten thank you note for gifts.
13. When you look through the camera roll on your smartphone, you often find blurry photos of your feet that you’ve taken accidentally while trying to answer a call.
14. There’s no longer any difference between your ‘big pants’ and all your other pants.
15. You’d rather drink no wine than cheap wine.
16. You have a preferred canvas bag for taking grocery shopping, and it can ruin your day to go to the drawer and discover that someone else is using it.
17. You smuggle your own snacks into the cinema to avoid paying overinflated popcorn prices.
18. You have a ringtone that actually sounds like a telephone ringing.
19. You mentally correct the spelling and grammar of graffiti artists.
20. You have dedicated hand moisturiser, which comes in pastel coloured packaging and has a light, floral scent.
21… Over to you. What have I missed?